According to TJ McCue, who wrote the article, “30+ Ways To Use YouTube Effectively”, YouTube is a terrific way for small business owners to compete with the big brands.
Today’s consumers prefer reading small chunks of text and they love watching videos. Watching a video is easier than reading a text-based advertisement and it is more appealing for the fast-paced digital community of millennial shoppers. A high percentage of online audiences are known to interact with videos. Click through rates are always higher for videos than they are for banner and text ads.
While video production can be expensive, it doesn’t have to be. Although we are more entertained by big productions, I’ve seen several decent looking videos on the Internet, recorded with someone’s phone or digital camcorder. If you’re recording a demo in the store with the camera staying stationary, your video may likely be internet-worthy.
Some ideas for what to post on YouTube include:
- TV spots to advertise weekly specials, services or a rewards program
- Cooking demonstrations
- Tips from the butcher on how to slice the different cuts of meat
- New product demonstrations
- Events at your store, testimonials from customers participating in a big sale event
- Run a contest. Offer customers a prize for submitting a video showing how to cook a particular food. Then upload the winning video.
- Show floral arrangements being made or cakes being decorated in the store
- Festivals, pie eating contest, be creative and have fun with it!
Not only can a video be uploaded to YouTube, but also a channel can be created for your store. The channel can be customized to include the store logo, a hero photo, a featured video and playlists.
Once the channel is created, keep the content coming so your audience keeps coming back.
Put thought into the title and description of your video and its category and tags. This will help people find you in a search.
Use social currency. Make a customer feel special and they will turn around and share on social media that YOU recognize them as being special. In doing this, they also are recognizing you.
Do your part to share on social media as well. When a new video is uploaded to YouTube, post a link to it on your other social pages.
Last but not least, don’t forget to include your website address or contact information in the video.