Of all the hot topics in retail these days, last-mile fulfillment is one of the hottest. Independent grocery retailers are becoming more comfortable with the notion of click and collect eCommerce, but last mile seems to be another beast altogether. There are concerns, for sure. But, as more and more competitors venture into delivery, retailers are asking how they can get in the game. At the Home Delivery World conference in Atlanta in April, Bringg laid out seven steps in the delivery process and how retailers can prepare to tackle it head on.
7 steps in delivery:
- Streamline processes – ensure the data used to power delivery is correct. Have the right product and pricing information and understand what’s even going to be available via delivery.
- Improve Efficiency – Learn how to track inventory and have driver visibility for both the driver and the customer. Use real time data and consider proof of delivery.
- Provide Visibility – Build trust with on-time delivery and use data to understand each component of the process and how to continuously improve it.
- Communicate effectively – Have channels built to interact with customers but don’t communicate without purpose. Limit the interactions to ones that provide value and inspire engagement.
- Customize Experiences – Build loyalty and create unique experiences. Let customers determine their delivery based on their time and location and adapt to what the customer wants.
- Build loyalty – 15% of customers are loyal but 57-70% of company revenue. Make customers happy who take a chance on the service.
- Reduce costs – Don’t go all-in on delivery as the only option for fulfillment. Realize some customers will want click and collect. Bulk pick orders and optimize delivery routes to ensure last-mile is as efficient as possible while also considering the customer understands the convenience costs something to them.
Last-mile isn’t easy. There are tradeoffs to be considered and choices to be made about which platform makes the most sense for each independent retailer. Yet, thinking through these steps helps layout the considerations in play to be successful in this evolving space.