Text has become such a success for retailers reaching and retaining customers that we’ve found some great examples of senders who are working hard to do a terrible job at it. That’s right, not everyone is as good at writing puns as you are and they’re really making a mess of this whole thing for the rest of us! Here’s a list of some of the ways you can help these people destroy the text message marketing industry:
- Using all Caps – USING ALL CAPS IS A FANTASTIC WAY TO SOUND LIKE AN ANGRY DAD TRYING HIS BEST TO RUN HIS DAUGHTER’S PROM DATE OUT BEFORE THE DANCE. IF YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE NO ONE EVER SIGNS UP FOR YOUR TEXT PROGRAM, DO THIS.
- Emojis – Nothing screams “awesome savings” like having to read broken copy mixed with crying faces and pictures of martini glasses. I’m sure that the quaint old couple who hasn’t the slightest idea what an emoji is will enjoy their new-fangled smart phone vomiting side-eyes and pray hands while they parse through what could’ve been a great text message.
- Punctuation and abbreviation – LOL!!!!!?!?!?!? Hmu l8r……Gtg!!!!! This is self explanatory. Since you’re absolutely trying to attract customers from the pre-teen population and absolutely NO ONE ELSE, this is the best possible strategy you could employ.
- Spelling – Ah, yes. The ultimate scare tactic when trying to rid yourself of pesky customers. Mayk shur yoo kan spel gud.
- Length – Being longwinded and explaining the details of every move you made to get those avocados from seed to shelf can be a solid method for sending millennial shoppers screaming for the hills. Congrats.
All joking aside, the best way to reach people successfully is to keep things short, pay attention to what has been successful and to stay focused when you’re building your subscriber base. We’ve seen some fantastic campaigns that include free add-on items, PLUs and incorporation of loyalty items that can help establish your text program as a customer favorite.
If any of the above rules make you nervous about writing and sending your own messages, we can help with that as well. If you’re ready to take the next step in setting up your text program, a digital marketing specialist at AWG can write, edit and send anything you’d like. Give me a call and let’s talk text!